Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Study, Why so Hard?

Well over the last One and a Half years I've been working on a Diploma of Youth Work through SU's training arm. And I've really struggled with it. Motivation levels have been at an all time low. One the surface it is easy- one online task every week (takes about 15 mins) and then a portfolio every term. (probably takes about 18 hours total). I really struggle to get the work done. And I shouldn't. It isn't hard. And it relates to my job. I mean this was last week's task- It isn't hard.

C7 OLT2: Doing Research and Evaluation with Children, Young People and Families

When planning programs and other responses to researched needs, it is important to factor in processes for evaluation. Such reviews are essential if we are to determine whether, not only our responses, but our processes in working out our responses, have been successful. Doing review and evaluation with children, young people and families can have its challenges, but these can be overcome. Fortunately, many others have gone before us and mapped out the challenges of such evaluations and have charted courses through them.

In this week's task, you are required to read a Fact Sheet on research with children, young people and families, and then respond to three discussion questions specifically about evaluation.

Read the Fact Sheet:

Respond to the Discussion Questions:

  • Why is it important to do research and evaluation with children, young people and families
  • Outline one challenge you might face in trying to do research and evaluation with children, young people and families
  • Outline one strategy you might use to overcome that challenge

(Please refer to ideas outlined in the reading provided as well as from your own experiences)

As usual, make your post and respond to the posts of two other students...

(taken from the training site)


But why am I struggling so much to get it done? Is it my Pride thinking I don't need to be trained on something I can already do and do very well (apparently).

Or is it just pure and simple laziness? Differences in theology? I am jumping on any excuse not to do it. For example last year there was a section that I disagreed with theologically and so I shut down. I avoided any calls about the course and didn't do my assignments. Buried my head under a rock and waited for it all to vanish. It didn't. And I got it done- writing the same way I did at uni saying what was wanted to be said. Feeling hollow and like a sellout.

Is it because it is correspondence? Well the trainers are very good at contacting you and keeping you going. The on-line stuff is really good. And they have done a great job at making it easy to do where I am- though a study buddy here would be great.

Maybe I'm just losing my study edge. Maybe the thirst for knowledge is dry. Does this mean Bible college isn't for me?

No comments: