Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Rivers Of Babylon

I was asked about the song Rivers of Babylon whether it was a Christian song. I wasn't too sure of the full story and promised to blog it. Now having researched the answer, I say well yes but no. It was written by the Melodians in 1972 but is mostly famous for the 1978 Boney M version. I know my mum sung it to me as a lullaby so it is a song that has stuck with me for a long time.
Why it is Kinda a Christian song:
Well it is based off Psalm 137:1 and Psalm 19:14. Psalm 137 is a hymn sung by the Jewish people in exile in Babylon. To us I suppose we can identify- that we are kinda in exile as well- until the day we are able to join with others in God's Presence- there is a sense of expectation and loss.
Why it is Not a Christian song:
The song takes verses well and truly out of context- whilest there are large "Christian" music groups (one in particular) who do this often, I think it is enough of a departure from the original Psalm to disqualify it from being a "Christian" song much in the the same way System of a Down's "Chop Suey" is not a Christian song. But make up your own mind:

Psalm 137

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.

2 There on the poplars
we hung our harps,

3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

4 How can we sing the songs of the LORD
while in a foreign land?

5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill .

6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.

7 Remember, O LORD, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
"Tear it down," they cried,
"tear it down to its foundations!"

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-

9 he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

Psalm 19:14 (New International Version)

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

4 comments:

Leah said...

I don't really see how verses are taken out of context - not in a way that twists their meaning, anyway. I don't see how it's not a Christian song... except that Boney M isn't a Christian band perhaps?

Simone R. said...

If this isn't a 'christian' song then I'm not really sure what would be. It's straight from the bible, doesn't twist anything, I know exactly what it's about...

Do we really have to be able to 'identify with' a biblical text for it to be christian? This is shakey ground, surely!

[Hi, I'm Simone. Nice blog etc. Interesting discussion.]

Tim said...

:) Hi Simone welcome to my blog :D I've trolled yours a fair bit over the years.
Ok you guys are right- Some minor things to add
Leah Boney M would call themselves a Christian band or maybe Christian Greenie or something.
I did get mixed up a bit- on my ipod I have a slightly different version- one that I can't find on youtube but the one here is the official version so I'm wrong :P
Yes I would call it a Christian song I think what I was thinking was there was an old hymn that was quite similar but I dunno, maybe at 1:30 in the morning my mind wasn't quite hooked on properly.

Leah said...

I kind of wondered whether Boney M called themselves a Christian band (as I have listened to a lot of their music since I was about 5)... I checked their wikipedia page and it made no such claim, but then again I guess wikipedia is not always terribly accurate :P