Thursday, August 10, 2006

What I want to be when I grow up

Who decided when someone is grown up? In Jewish Community your bar mitzah signifies the coming of age (14 I think), In some places your aren't an adult until you have killed your first lion. In Western society we have this ridiculous view that when you have completed uni that you are 'all grown up' but some people's obvious lack of maturity after finishing uni destroys that view while others hold the view that when you get a job. Again ridiculous. And vice versa when i eventually finish uni I hope to work in sort sort of aquatic scenario or setting. Does this make me more grown up than my years of work in the church or time serving in Christian union? I think not. One line of work or life goal I am NOT striving towards is one that is being under took by a miss Lohan. What movies she is in I dunno as I do not watch such genre but she said "I wanted to do what Marilyn Monroe did, when she went and just set up a stage and did a concert for the troops by herself," Lohan said. "It's so amazing seeing one woman just going somewhere, this beautiful sex kitten, who's basically a pinup, which is what I've always aspired to be." Well that's one thing I've never aspired to be.
Another occupation which I will not be undertaking is a career with Greenpeace. Although many of their causes are dear to my heart and I believe need action- I have been booted out of this esteemed membership. Due to Apparent apathy- I was a member for 4 years w/o attending one protest (hey JCU gave me free membership) and I did tell the local area committee head that turtle tastes like a seafood Lamb. And I did kind of say that their methods didn't really appear in the bible. :)
On a slightly related note my little brother is wanting to do something with photography when he grows up. As such he was kind enough to take photos of me and stuff on my recent trip to png. I'm still updating plus some photos seem to have appeared more than once- so have a look now and again to see if there is any difference and I'll try and let u know when I'm finished. Here is the link.
Now Purists may argue that I never answered the original statement. Well I don't really know but it will be gospel work- We are not commanded to sit in our little world waiting for a call but actively Proclaiming Christ in every situation we find ourselves in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The answer is when you are old...
When Your back goes out more than you do...
When your forgetory is greater than your memory...
That's when you are grown up.
Its funny but none of the suggestions you supplied were related to actual age. You are grown up when u are this [fill in blank] age physically...it was all based on mental age [maturity level]...or achievement-based age...meaning to be grown up you have to illustrate it in an outward manner...or i could be just bored in my break..

Anonymous said...

I think the answer is... when you can successfully live away from your family without their support. I was going to say, "on your own", but then considered those who might be married, or with housemates, or whatnot...
There are probably other holes, but I'm too tired to try thinking of them :P

Anonymous said...

Leah, you can never live away from your family without their support. Or maybe i just haven't grown up yet... Even after 18 months away from them.

Tim, i'm glad i could guilt you into updating your blog. :) i'll try to keep it up every few weeks... ;)