Monday, November 16, 2009

True Union

Well I couldn't sleep tonight so I thought I'd stay up for the rugby union... big mistake. Decided I like union's free flowing game. Problem is it doen't happen much- so I think I'll stick to highlights on Sports Tonight. I think Union is in a fair bit of trouble world wide- less and less people are playing and watching. Already football (soccer) is well and truly taking over Union's ranking of fourth most watched sport in australia- and if australia gets to host the world cup it will take off. The problem for rugby is they had their world cup in OZ and it didn't make much difference to player's numbers or viewers once it was over. Well how do the americans get people to watch their boring sports? Make movies about their sports with high intensity highlights, add personal touch, maybe a bit of racial inequality to make you 'connect with the people'. Well union is trying the same thing with Invictus. Three of the biggest hollywood names in Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman starring with Clint Eastwood directing. And whilest I cringe at the prospects of terrible attempts at south African accents (Mett Demon) I'm actually looking forward to this movie. And who knows it may get me watching rugby.

3 comments:

Leah said...

From the snippets I heard from Damon, his accent sounds pretty ok I think.

Depending on how this movie treats Nelson Mandela, our South African friends are potentially going to hate this movie.

Tim said...

I think very much so judging from the previews

Leah said...

From the preview I though it's possible the movie centres more on the rugby team and their influence on South African society, in which case it might be fine.

Andre saw the preview and said it looks interesting.